Camburn Fine Art was established in 1990. We specialise in the sale of paintings by the artist, Alan Halliday, b. 1952. The gallery is based in central France, near Chinon and not far from the Loire Valley. The galleries and studios are open to visitors by appointment.
We exhibit frequently in London, and the paintings we represent can be viewed at several of the leading Arts and Antiques Fairs. We also exhibit three times a year at our gallery in Mayfair. Please see our Events Page for further details of forthcoming shows.
In the U.S.A., Alan Halliday’s paintings are represented by Dinan & Chighine, and Halliday’s paintings can also be viewed at the Dinan & Chighine exhibition stand at several arts and antiques shows in America throughout the year in San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Palm Beach, Nantucket, Newport, and Charleston.
- We are interested in paintings which use permanent materials including oil on canvas and gouache, ink, chalk and dry pastel on handmade paper. We believe in the importance of freehand drawing and painting, and we avoid all work which is derived from the copying and tracing from projected photographs.
- Every year, we exhibit the most recent paintings by Alan Halliday at over twenty exhibitions worldwide, and we also curate the archive of the artist for specific collections.
- To enable you to view paintings in situ, we can visit you in your home or office. Please contact us to discuss your needs then after a careful selection we can then bring paintings to you. We travel throughout Europe, particularly to the Cote d’Azur.
- Stephen Camburn is a graduate of the University of Oxford where he read Modern History for an M.A. at Oriel College. After graduating, Stephen became Gallery Manager for Eton & Windsor Fine Art. He then became an arts and antiques buyer in the USA for several galleries, antiques dealers and department stores. He entered the publishing world with ‘Antiques Across the World’ and then ‘Antique’. In 1995, he then established Camburn Fine Art to promote and sell the paintings of Alan Halliday and other contemporary European painters, sculptors and ceramicists.
- Please also see the ‘Alan Halliday’ page on this website for further information on the work of this bold and exciting artist.
- We have a large number of repeat customers, and we now find we are selling paintings into the third generation of our clients’ families! We hope you will join our group of collectors, worldwide, and enjoy the vitality and diversity of this exceptional artist whose paintings exude ‘le boneur de vivre’ and ‘the happiness of life’.
We have collected Alan Halliday paintings since 1979. We have views of Venice, Cambridge and Chelsea, seascapes, a still life, an abstract and a fantasy piece, which now adorn our houses in Britain and Spain. Rare is the day that our eye does not rest on one of his works. We admire his eye for architecture, his ability to capture the exuberance of a moment, and above all his love of colour. We thank him for the enthusiasm that radiates from our walls. - Carolyn and Michael Portillo